Building Trumpeter’s 1:35 Sturer Emil

Having finished the KV-1 yesterday, my fingers were itching already to start something new. This time, I’m going to build Trumpeter’s Sturer Emil in 1:35.

I started out by building the lower case with suspensions and all the stuff and also mounted some of the wheels.

Completed lower hull
Completed lower hull
Some of the wheels
Some of the wheels

The only thing that needed correction so far are some prominent ejection marks on the outside of the suspension pins. Admittedly, it will merely be visible once the wheels are on but I still wanted this corrected.

Visible ejection mark that needs corrected
Visible ejection mark that needs corrected

Since the Wehrmacht only built two of these machines, there is not much in terms of variations. I’m still oscillating between a standard German gray and a washed out winter camo version. Although, I haven’t seen any pictures where it was wearing such a camo.

I continued by adding some of the elements to the upper hull, including all the tools. These will be painted later with a 0 brush (keeping fingers crossed).

Upper hull
Upper hull
Upper hull details
Upper hull details

Next, the magazines and cartridges were built. Since the left and right cartridges are offered with two movable doors each, I decided to build them both partially open. I might leave them empty or place a shell inside one of them.

Cartridges
Cartridges
Magazines
Magazines

Speaking of shells, what kind of shells where normally held in these cartridges? Those that can be assembled from the kit are either too small or way to large to fit inside.I’m clueless…
The muffler was an easy one although it is built from three parts.

Muffler
Muffler

Next up, the canon support with the two side seats. Again, perfectly fitting parts!

Canon support
Canon support

Along with the interior, the gun is probably the most complex part. Although, easy to assemble it does require a certain amount of attention.

Canon
Canon
Canon
Canon

At this point I’m unsure about the position of one element. Will have to see about this later…

Canon detail
Canon detail

Once all the steps above have been completed, it was finally time to start the painting process. The first step was applying a layer of Vallejo German Grey followed by a “dust” of the same color brightened by about 30% of Revell Matt White (05).

The contrast is a bit harsh but this will be toned down by a black-brown filter later.

Paint modulation of the upper hull
Paint modulation of the upper hull
Painted lower hull
Painted lower hull
Color modulation on the turret
Color modulation on the turret
Color modulation on the turret
Color modulation on the turret
Painted main gun
Painted main gun
Some smaller parts
Some smaller parts
The gun firing mechanism
The gun firing mechanism

The crew deck was also painted in the same shade of gray. This part will receive some weathering with several wood colors later to simulate the worn wood deck under the paint.

The deck
The deck

The muffler has also been rusted and will most probably receive a black-brown wash somewhere down the road as it is a bit too reddish as it is now.

The rusty muffler
The rusty muffler

After a longer break, I continued the painting. Summoned enough bravery to  bite the bullet try my hand at the washed winter camo thing. For this I first applied a several thin coats of hairspray to allow me scrub the following layer of Revell 05 matt white.

I have applied a gradient of white fading it towards the top into the base gray and haven’t let it dry completely before starting the scrubbing. Still, the results were too harsh. Initially I planned to apply a white oil wash over it to smooth down the edges but after having the turpentine attack the underlying coat on a test piece I changed my mind and applied a mist of Revell 05 matt white at low pressure with the needle of my airbrush almost locked so the paint will merely flow through resulting in a very fine and thin layer of paint being applied. Actually, I liked the results so much I decided to add this technique to my “portfolio” to be used on other models, as well.

Sturer-Emil-WIP-027
Washed winter camo
Sturer-Emil-WIP-026
Washed winter camo
Sturer-Emil-WIP-025
Washed winter camo
Sturer-Emil-WIP-024
Washed winter camo
Sturer-Emil-WIP-023
Washed winter camo
Sturer-Emil-WIP-022
Washed winter camo

Once I was happy with the washed effect on the camo, I applied the scratches using Revell 83 rust, Revell 84 leather and a 50-50 mix of the base Vallejo German Grey and Revell 05 matt white, simulating the lighter scratches.

Sturer-Emil-WIP-028
Rusty details
Sturer-Emil-WIP-029
Rusty details

In the last phase of this project I have added some rust and rain streaking using Vallejo Burn Sienna and Natural Iron Oxide pigments diluted in alcohol and faded using a cotton swab.

Once the streaking was done, I have sprinkled some mud (glue + water + Revell 82 Mud + dirt from the garden) onto the upper surfaces, blowing it off my brush with the airbrush.

This concludes the building process! I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed building it!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s