Building Trumpeter’s 1:35 ASLAV PC Phase 3

I started this build as my entry for the 8×8 Campaign over at armorama.com. It was also meant as a practice object before I start the AFV Club M1130Stryker TACP.

In the first steps I already stumbled upon some misaligned shock absorber coils which were impossible to correct. Not a big deal in the end since this is going to be hidden behind the wheels.

Misaligned shock absorber spring
Misaligned shock absorber spring

The lower hull falls together pretty nicely once you manage to remove the very fine parts from the sprue and clean them without damaging them. Personally, I had a lot of problems with this part and the components are very fragile. Extreme attention is required here but still managed to break one set of steering arms which were impossible to align afterwards.

Fully assembled lower hull
Fully assembled lower hull
Broken steering arm remains misaligned
Broken steering arm remains misaligned

The PE parts that are assembled on the lower hull seemed very difficult to assemble at a first glance as they only present the material thickness as their gluing surface which is less then 1mm. Still, applying a bit more glue and carefully placing the parts in the puddle seem to render surprisingly stable connections. We’ll see how that resists further handling during the build process.

Lower hull PE detailing seems very fragile but it isn't
Lower hull PE detailing seems very fragile but it isn’t

The propeller and specially their guards are again a run of very thin parts that need to be removed, cleaned and aligned very carefully.

Propeller guards assembled from three very thin parts per side
Propeller guards assembled from three very thin parts per side

After several more building sessions and some broken antennas (one should really leave these off until everything is ready for painting), the body is finally finished. I’ll have to go through the steps and sprues once again to make sure nothing has been forgot but the main part should be glued in place.

Some smaller parts like the tools or the machine gun are left off to be painted separately.

Side view
Side view
Side view
Side view
Front view
Front view

Next up PE priming which also servers as preshading for the following layer of sandy yellow.

Priming and preshading
Priming and preshading
Priming and preshading
Priming and preshading

Then the sandy yellow layer as the first camo color.

Sandy yellow
Sandy yellow
Sandy yellow
Sandy yellow
Sandy yellow
Sandy yellow

My first time using Uhu Patafix (same as Blue Tac) for masking and I must say I’m impressed how easy it was!

Sand color masked with Uhu Patafix
Sand color masked with Uhu Patafix
Sand color masked with Uhu Patafix
Sand color masked with Uhu Patafix

The green color is a 2/3 – 1/3 mix of Revell 39 Dark Green and Revell 45 Light Olive.

Green camo color
Green camo color
Green camo color
Green camo color

Once the yellow and green were on, I followed on with the black and then removed the masking. There is a minimum amount of overspray to correct and some of the smaller parts were ripped off in the unmasking process. Nothing that cannot be repair, tough.

Black camo color
Black camo color
Finished camo
Finished camo

I have been applying a (for me) new technique to emulate the tire sag by inserting a screw in the rubber part and fastening it to the plastic rim below. I have the idea from Fabrizio Pincelli’s BTR-60PB build from the January issue of Military Modelcraft International. I think it turned out OK. The only thing I don’t know yet how to solve is how to glue the rubber to the plastic. I tried both cyanoacrilate glues I’m using for the PE parts but none was sticking.

Tire sag
Tire sag
Tire sag
Tire sag

The rest of the body received a foggy layer of Revell 314 Beige and a IPA-diluted Vallejo pigment wash both applied with the airbrush.

ASLAV PC PHASE III Finished
ASLAV PC PHASE III Finished
ASLAV PC PHASE III Finished
ASLAV PC PHASE III Finished
ASLAV PC PHASE III Finished
ASLAV PC PHASE III Finished
ASLAV PC PHASE III Finished
ASLAV PC PHASE III Finished
ASLAV PC PHASE III Finished
ASLAV PC PHASE III Finished
ASLAV PC PHASE III Finished
ASLAV PC PHASE III Finished
ASLAV PC PHASE III Finished
ASLAV PC PHASE III Finished

This concludes the building. I hope you’ll enjoy building yours just as much as I did with mine!

Cheers,

Cristian

Advertisements

2 Replies to “Building Trumpeter’s 1:35 ASLAV PC Phase 3”

    1. Thank you, Declan! I picked up this technique in a magazine a while ago. The problem is that you’ll have to put the same amount of sag on all tires otherwise it will “limp” plus it may cause some deformation of the rubber part that will then split from the rim (can be well seen in the photos above).

      Good luck with your trial! 🙂
      Cristian

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s